Today we went to see the Rose Parade floats. Every year the parade floats are parked near the Rose Bowl and are on display for a day or two before they are torn down. A local radio station was giving away tickets to view them so Rick emailed the station and we won 2 tickets! Rick's mom went with us and we were able to get in 2 hours ahead of general public viewing because seniors and special needs are able to get in early. I woke up the kids at 5:30AM, and got Caroline dressed. As soon as I was done, she had a frowny face, went over to her window, lifted the shade and with her hands on her dinky little hips declared, "It's still DARK out, Mommy!" She was less than amused about this fact.
We loaded up at 6:00 and arrived in Pasadena around 7:15, met Rick's mom (who LOVES her little portable GPS thingy (technical term) that tells you when to turn. She and I have joked that we would have trouble finding our way out of a paper bag. Then we loaded on to a special shuttle bus to take us to the viewing area.
Later, we went to lunch. Again, checking on the GPS thingy, we located a nice Italian restaurant, clicked on it and followed the ever-so-nice-but-slightly-annoying voice commands and found the restaurant. Parked along the street and put coins into the meter (yes, you know where this is going!) We had one hour of time. We had a very nice lunch and the restaurant definitely served Italian-sized portions. Those of you who grew up with Italian grandmothers are nodding your heads right now, right? I know you are. We walked back to the cars and I noticed a parking lot enforcement officer on bicycle heading down the direction of our cars. I pointed her out to Rick and he said that I should have 3 more minutes on the meter. Then I noticed she was in front of my car. I started jogging down the street, kids running after me. I remembered I had my lock-unlock-door opener-thingy (technical terms again, sorry to confuse the non-techy people) and opened the slider on the van. I guess that was enough to tell the officer that I was on my way and she left without giving me a ticket. Whew!!!
Anyway, the floats were gorgeous and amazing and...BIG! The details were so clever. It's amazing what you don't see on TV. They arrange flowers, fruit, vegetables, seaweed, and other things in such a way that you don't notice what it is, you just know it's beautiful. I took 138 pictures in all, but I cannot post them all here. Sorry, I'm just not that patient. I've loaded all the pictures on Picasa:
http://picasaweb.google.com/thaviara/RoseParadeFloats2009#
Here are a few with some incredible detail:
Peter, Rick, Caroline, Yumiko, and Grandma
King Arthur
Detail under King Arthur's train. Apples, pomegranites, broccoflower, grapes

This gentleman was kind enough to invite Caroline behind the barricade. Very cool
In front of the Alice in Wonderland float.
Catching a wave. The dog in the picture is trying to get the steak off the BBQ. Notice the dolphins in the picture too!
Details on the bottom of the above float. The anemones are mums and yellow peppers.
China Airlines always has a stunner of a float and this year was no exception.
Details on the bottom of the Country Fair float.
One of the masks on a float with an Alaskan theme. The green areas are peas. The red is cranberries.

More of the Alaska themed float. This walrus was so detailed.
This elephant was on The Bollywood float. Notice the blanket over his back.
This is the blanket from the side.
This is the detail. Purple and fuchia flower petals, red roses, oranges and kumquats make up the design.
I want this in my backyard! It's about 4 feet across.
Have a wonderful New Year everyone!
10 comments:
The pix are beautiful!
Love the header photo and glad that you all had a good Christmas. How fun for your exchange student to experience all this!
Fabulous photos! Thanks for sharing those.
What a wonderful experience! I thought of you when we were watching the parade and wondered if you were close enough to attend! Thanks for sharing the amazing photos, you can't see any of the detail on TV. And I am so laughing at your "techy terms". We call them all whoosies and whatsits!
Jennifer
PS Love the new banner photo!
Beautiful children! Such a nice family you have and I am enjoying reading your blog!
Wishing you a great new year!
Gorgeous banner! Your family is beautiful. The parade looks lovely, and I have to say isn't GPS GREAT?!
Thanks for your sweet comments to my blog!
Too fun...looks like it was freezing! We saw the parade many years ago...in fact, I was just pregnant with Timothy and boy was I sick!! I was literally green. Those floats are so amazing in person!
The Rose Parade....It is one of my favorite! The pictures are just so beautiful!
Teresa, got your comment on my blog...What a neat coincidence about VT! My parents are about 20 min north of Lyndonville on Crystal Lake. If you are at the state park we are the house directly above the shower house! What a small world! If she is ever in Barton tell her to please stop by the shop and say hi to my Mom!Jennifer
Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog. I've been to see the floats before, so much more impressive than on tv I think. It appears you live in the area. I'm wondering if you're part of the disneyland moms christy keeps telling me about?
susan
mom to georgiana dob 1/7/2008,ours forever 12/8/08
Post a Comment