Saturday, September 19, 2009

Brown Belt Drama


Pardon the poor camera quality on the TKD studio pictures. I only had my phone camera at the time (and I don't own an IPhone).

Peter passed his brown belt! Not without a little bit of drama, though. He waited too long to study the answers he had to recite. It isn't enough that they know their forms, they also have lessons they have to recite that have to do with character. Anyway, he ended up trying to memorize them in just a few days and dawdled trying to learn them and was upset with me for trying to help him by giving suggestions on how to memorize (hello! I've had to memorize a few things in my time) He started crying because he was frustrated and began saying that he thought this would be fun, but now it's getting hard (um, yeah?). I told him that just because something is challenging doesn't mean that you quit. If he gives up because something gets hard, he will give up when anything gets hard. If he were just trying out a sport and didn't like it and if he were younger, say 6, it would be different. He's good at this and a challenge is good for him. So I told him to go ahead and test and if he doesn't pass, he can try again at the make-up test. So he decided to try. I told him that Master Yoo has confidence in him, Instructor Julie has confidence in him and his daddy and I have confidence in him. Well, he passed and did well on the test. I knew he would.



Receiving his belt.


Breaking the board
A happy brown belt

With Master Yoo

Now here's a challenge for Master Yoo: There are 3 sets of identical twins in his class. Yes, three. All girls. All blonde. Oh yeah, that's a challenge. Half the time, he calls one of them by their sister's name and they correct him. For example, he will call out Lisa and she will say, "Lori, Sir" and take her place.


Three sets of twins - yikes!



At home with his new uniform


Of course, Caroline wanted to try the uniform on too:




I guess I'm seeing into the future here.

No comments: