Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Cruise!!



Last week we cruised out of Long Beach on the Carnival Paradise. I wasn't sure about taking the kids on a cruise, but it was so relaxing and the kids had a great time. The cruise line had Camp Carnival that the kids got to play with other kids and the parents got a chance to enjoy a quiet meal.

Our first port was Catalina Island. The kids got to play on the beach and we did a little shopping for candy....





That night, we had the "fancy" dinner in the Elation dining room. The kids got to try lobster, but to Peter's delight, Caroline didn't like lobster so Peter got to have hers too! Yummy!

Peter took this picture of Rick and me.

Mommy and Peter

The kids spotted dolphin pods outside the window. They were so excited!

One tired girl hanging onto her daddy after dinner and dolphin show.


The kids also loved having the high up beds that required a ladder. They couldn't WAIT to try them!



Did I mention that Peter lost a tooth? Turns out, the tooth fairy couldn't get to the ship and waited until we got home.



Caroline took every opportunity to avail herself of the 24-hour pizza kitchen.


Peter took the opportunity to try everything on the menu. He ate like a teenager!

Our next port was Ensenada, Mexico. Before I could take a picture, they took down the ENORMOUS Mexican flag on that flagpole in the background due to wind. Our guide told us it takes 30 men to take down the flag and if ANY of them drops it on the ground, that person will go directly to jail. Really.



We went to see La Bufadora (the tallest blowhole in the world), which was nice. Then we did a little shopping, and ate some wonderful homemade tacos. Probably the best I've ever had. Peter loved his fish taco and seemed to be soaking in the atmosphere quite well. I think he gets his "travel bug" from me.

Caroline was given a dollar on the way and she held onto it for dear life. She fell asleep and stirred only when she dropped the dollar.


Clutching her dollar.

Rick and the kids at La Bufadora

Spray from La Bufadora


The last day of the cruise was all day at sea so we spent the day at the pool and Rick and Peter went down the slide (almost like a waterpark slide). Caroline was horribly disappointed because she didn't meet the height restriction. Can't blame her. It looked like fun. However, we made it up to her by letting her attend the Build A Bear workshop. She picked out a lion for $20. If the lion was going to wear anything else but the Carnival t-shirt, it would be an extra $8 so I convinced her that by having the t-shirt, we would always remember where she got her lion. She agreed and I saved $8. Whew!

Peter on the slide

Caroline stuffing her lion

My Asian/Egyptian/Care Bear princess


As Rick was heading down to the pool, someone handed him a flyer for a full body massage and facial. If we had ordered it online prior to our trip, it would have been $269.00 so I decided I didn't want one. The flyer he was handed was for a $99.00 special! I got 90 minutes of absolute bliss while he watched the kids (and saved $170!!) Ahhhhh....a little slice of heaven on the Pacific Ocean.

And this was wierd. They were offering portraits and the portrait they used to advertise the services looked eerily like Caroline.

The really scary thing is that Caroline also has that shirt!

On Monday, it was back to school and into a routine.

7 comments:

Lori Lynn said...

Wow! That picture does look a lot like Caroline. Pete and I took a cruise to Ensenada before kids and had a fun time. We saw La Bufadora too. I remember they said there were only a few blowholes in the world, but since then, I have seen one in New Zealand and one in Kauai.

How neat that your cruise stopped at Catalina! I wanna take the girls there. The pictures of you with Peter and with your husband are really nice!

The Brown Family said...

We did that cruise last year (but on Royal Caribbean) for our family reunion last year :) The kids loved it!

Your kids are so darling. I can't get over Peter's dimples. He is so handsome. And that picture would have freaked me out...it does look so much like your little Caroline!

Kim

Laura said...

Aw that looks like such a nice time!!!!

Anonymous said...

omg you are sooo lucky,,i want to go on a cruise soooooo bad and it looks like you had some FUN!

M3 said...

First: Awesome!!
Second: What we wouldn't give to have a 24-hour pizza kitchen around here.
Third: Yikes, that photo does look like Caroline, and I can't believe she has that same shirt. Wow.

M3 said...

Ha!! Just had to leave another comment to mention that my word verification was "ancor" -- made me think of "anchor's away!". Too funny on a post about a cruise.

Unknown said...

I'm not over the tooth fairy. Other than that, it looks like you had a FANTABULOUS time!!! Loved this! Love YOU! Daisy Rain