Saturday, March 13, 2010

Five Years Ago...


Five years ago we and two other nervous, anxious, and excited families stepped off the elevator at the Civil Affairs Office in Changsha, Hunan Province, China. All of us with the same emotions: Will they like us? What if they cry? How will our lives change? We’re ready for this, and yet not ready.

Before we knew it, our guide came in. “The babies are here!!” she said. Quickly, we grabbed our cameras and frantically tried to turn them on so we could record this life-changing experience.


We were the first ones called. They called out the name given to her by the orphanage. “Huai, Chun-Yu,” said our guide. That’s us!! That’s our daughter! Rick quickly tried to focus the camera to capture this moment we tried for 3 years to accomplish: the adoption of our daughter and the completion of our family. She was handed to me and was quiet for about 4 seconds and then she cried. I remember telling her to cry all she wanted.



She was in her mama’s arms now. No more orphanages. No more goodbyes. No more crying for someone to hold her. I was here now. Her daddy was here. Her big brother was here. He was the one who at 4 years old, after praying for her one night said, “I wish Caroline was home now, Mommy.” A year and a half after that prayer, here we were with her in my arms. A prayer fulfilled.

We celebrated her 6th birthday two days ago. The baby girl from the orphanage whose birthparents, because of the laws of the government in China, had no choice but to leave her where she could be found is happy and healthy with her new family. The baby who at one year old could not even crawl yet is now riding a two-wheeler with ease, well ahead of many of her peers. The frightened baby who didn’t like strangers is now the favorite kindergartener to the yard duty moms at her school because she makes them laugh. She is a saucy little thing who will always tell you what she thinks…whether you like it or not. We’re working on being polite (ahem!).



Measuring her on the memory pole almost a month after we arrived home.

Measuring her this year on her birthday.

I’ve mentioned before that I always remember my children’s birthparents on their birthdays and say a prayer for them. Two days ago was no exception. They made a heartbreaking decision.

I get to be the one who hears her say, “I love you so much, Mommy!” as she stretches her arms so wide the touch behind her. I get to hear, “You’re the best Mommy ever.” (full disclosure here: I also hear “You’re the worst Mommy ever” too, when she’s mad at me.) I get to have her pretty little lips kiss me every night before going to bed.

And I am grateful. To her birthparents, and to God.

4 comments:

Wanda said...

Amen Teresa! Happy 5 years together and Happy 6th birthday to your spicy girl. (I still think it's so cool that you were in the same room as we were only a few months later.)

Wow....can't believe how she has has grown. So nice to see her happy smile and hear an update.

Take care.

Carolin said...

so much to be thankful for! congrats on your 5 year anniversary!

Carolin said...

so much to be thankful for! congrats on your 5 year anniversary!

amorisa said...

I know you've told me how much your journey for Caroline mirrors ours to XuXu, but it really does. Our guide even said to us as we were walking toward the room "The babies are here!" too. And it was the same scramble for us and the other 2 families with us to get our cameras out and going. Thank you for sharing your beautiful moment of becoming a family.

Caroline's sassiness as you describe her now is so much like XuXu. (Always the star.)
Happy Birthday Caroline!
And congratulations on 5 years home!
My heart is full of joy for you and your family.
Blessings, blessings, blessings.