Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Texas: It's Like a Whole 'Nother Country....

...And they ain't kiddin'!

Many of you know that my neighbors and friends moved to Dallas two years ago. It was a difficult time for us and especially for Peter and their son, Brendan. So, Ligia and I decided to surprise Brendan by flying out, just Peter and me, to visit. Ligia told Brendan to make a sign saying "Welcome to Texas" for her "cousin's friend" who was due to arrive (as you might guess, WE were them!). Just two minutes before we came through the revolving door, Brendan asked why Peter couldn't ever come to visit.

Here's our arrival:




Can I just say that Texans are about the friendliest folks I've met in a while? This trip has renewed my faith in Southern Hospitality that was lost on a trip from Waco to Austin I took in 1991 when a Texas driver would not let me pass them on I35 when there was no one else on the road. He literally drove the center line so I could not pass him...but I digress....

With that said, it's also harbors the most bling of any state in the Union. Case in point: We went to a place called Sam Moons Click on any handbag, clutch, wallet, jewelry link and you'll see what I mean. And you must check out the luggage to get ideas for your next set of luggage that will definitely set your luggage apart from all the other bags coming around the carousel at the airport.

But if you're in the market for fashionable Texas rainboots, look no further than these babies:




As I was thinking about how I could "defend myself from muggers, rapists, vicious animals and carjackers while I was jogging, shopping, traveling alone, or on a really, really bad date", this little item caught my eye as I was making a small, non-bling purchase at the register:



Now, play this scene in your head with me:

Mugger: "Stick 'em up lady and give me your jewels."

Genteel Texas Woman (GTW): "But they're not REAL! They're from Sam Moon. Ain't y'all ever been there?"

Mugger: "Well, then. Give me your purse."

GTW: "But I just bought it at Sam Moon. Can y'all wait 'till next week when I buy a new one?"

Mugger: "Ok, then. Just give me your money."

GTW: "Y'all just hold on 'til I pull my pepperspray out of it's cute little blingy holster so I can defend myself in style, ok?

You can get this item from http://www.divadefense.com/diva-defense.aspxif you're interested...and I know you are!


We also went to the Frisco Heritage Museum. A fun little museum that was perfect for the kids.

This is a nice little locked log cabin on site. Pretty tiny.



And this is a genuine covered wagon. Equally small. The children were expected to walk most of the way and the wagon was only to carry household items.



The boys decided to act out this scenario:




Then they tried to break into the vault:



They were enamored with this 1950's room, especially since it had a TV:



And they tried a rotary phone. Problem was they didn't know which way to dial or how far to turn the dial:



They also apparently didn't know you were supposed to actually pick up the receiver and listen for a dial tone before you dialed.

They eventually figured it out, even if the phone wasn't plugged in.



Peter discovers a record player and it included (gasp!) an 8-Track Player (It had an Englebert Humperdink tape in if you must know)



They did have a hard time understanding what this contraption was at first and why it was black and white....



However, we did do some things more practical at the house. Brendan was off to a boy scout camp shortly after we left, but he needed to be able to put his cot together so we set them on the task of putting it together:







We also went to historic Downtown Dallas. The site of the JFK assassination was sobering.


This is the Texas Book Depository where they found the rifle on the 6th floor window on the right:



This is the building on the left.

There is a faint X in the middle of the center lane marking the approximate location of the second and fatal shot.



Now this next picture is of a wedding reception for the daughter of the pastor of Elevate Life Church. She was married a few weeks ago and they had a reception for the rest of the church on a Wednesday night. This picture shows the pastor and his wife talking about their daughter. Why is this picture included in such a sad part of history? Well, the pastor's father, the bride's grandfather fingerprinted Jack Ruby after he murdered Oswald and also helped lead the crime scene investigation. His partner was the man holding Oswald when he was shot. The grandfather was there, but he left before I could meet him.



I also got a very short chance to see our former associate pastor's wife, Patti Smith. The family now lives outside of Dallas and she was at the Volvo dealership while I was heading back to the airport so we got a chance to say hello. When we adopted Peter, she called every woman in the church who had a baby boy in the last year and before I knew it, I had several bags of baby clothes and diapers. A pretty good feat considering she had less than 24 hours to arrange all that before we brought him home! And here she is holding the shoulder of the child she helped clothe before he ever arrived home:



So here's my final rant regarding this trip. I cannot seem to economically reconcile why CALIFORNIA produce is sold cheaper in other states than California. If someone can enlighten me, please explain this:

This photo was taken with my cell phone yesterday at our local Vons market:


Apricots: $3.99 a pound.

This photo was taken on Friday at The Market Street Store in Frisco, TX:



Anyone? Anyone? Hello?

6 comments:

Carolin said...

Sam Moon ... oh my my, you did see the highlights. That 's TOO funny!!! So glad you got to go and glad you had such a great trip ... but girlfriend, your being there made me homesick! We love Kentucky but some things from TX are just irreplaceable. When are you coming to KY? :-)

M3 said...

Oh that surprise is just awesome! He was so shocked. Love it. And love that they have such a great friendship. My brother is still friends with his childhood buddies. They still email and visit to this day.

Wanda said...

What a grand trip. Thanks for sharing - I enjoyed it too.
:)

QingLu Mama said...

I just loved this post! You had me cracking up !
What a wonderful trip you had and what great memories for you and Peter!
Jen

D said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip. The pepper spray holders totally crack me up!

momwithfaithandhope said...

I don't get the mark up on the fruit in CA either! I wonder if we're proportionately healthier or unhealthier because of it???? Maybe our demand is greater than the supply, since CA contains SD, and LA, and all those cities that love to be "fit" so there's a premium to eat healthier! LOL

I love the fairy wings, but if my son see's that dog house he's going to want to order one "off the computer" from your DH!