Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day at the Reagan Presidential Library


We live near the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum. It is always a treat to see any new exhibits there. I always learn something new. In fact, today I learned that when he was Governor Reagan of California, he helped preserve the John Muir Wilderness near Yosemite Valley and added many thousands of acres to our National Forests. I was completely unaware of that.

What was not news to me or the rest of the world was his absolute devotion to his country and especially his wife. They were completely devoted to each other. It was really beautiful to see.

Anyway, the Library had several military exhibits going on outside the facility and the kids and Yumiko really enjoyed it. They had an actor portraying Lincoln and he re-enacted the Gettysburg address. They shot off a cannon and a Gatling gun, had several rifle exhibits with the owners of the rifles in Civil War costumes, a Civil War military tent, and a exhibit of WWII items including a Japanese flag that was found wrapped around a Japanese soldier during the war. He had wrapped the flag around himself before he went into battle. Pictures of his family from his wallet were also displayed. Yumiko was able to translate some of the writing on the flag, but some of it was ancient style writing and she was unable to translate it. The owners explained that they tried to contact the family in Japan several years ago, but there were no living descendants of the soldier.

Here's Peter and Yumiko with "President Lincoln"


Caroline on a Civil War saddle and not liking the hat. She did, however insist on wearing her "pretty dress" today and I decided not to argue. On the right side of this box is the Japanese soldier's flag with the pictures from his wallet.



Peter and Caroline in front of a 4000-pound section of the Berlin Wall. I remember when the people tore down that wall and I watched in tears as the citizens of West and East Germany embraced for the first time in decades. I have been some former Eastern Bloc countries prior to that wall coming down and the knowledge that they would now have the opportunity to experience freedom was overwhelming to me and I cried for days. It is a day that I will remember the rest of my days on this earth.

4 comments:

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

WOW! I love it! What a great way to teach our children about the country. I really appreciate that you did something yesterday instead of just going to the mailbox to find it empty.
Lovely kids.
PS - Found you via "All things New"

Unknown said...

Welcome and thanks for commenting! I love reading "All Things New". Johanna is very sweet and she is good friends with my friend Christi (Cherry Blossom Life)

Gwen Oatsvall said...

how amazing and educational ... can't wait to hear about the picnic you are doing ...love how we can all work on this wall together one brick at a time !!!

Carolin said...

Sounds like a a wonderful trip!