Monday, June 29, 2009

How We're Spending Our Summer Vacation


We have been on the go since school ended on June 12th. This is going to be one busy summer with 3 camping trips, numerous trips to the pool, VBS, and one birthday celebration! Yikes!

And yet, the laundry room is wailing out loud for my attention, the dishwasher gets emptied when we run out of dishes and need clean ones, people are writing "dust me" on my furniture, and the kids are still complaining that they're bored. Hmmm.

So we went camping this past weekend and had a nice time. The kids played in the creek behind the campground and Lake Casitas has a water park in the campground that we went to on Saturday. Rick and our friend, Bill took the older boys on a boat on the lake and went fishing. How did they do you ask? Well, let's just say it's a good thing we were not planning dinner around their results (ahem!)

Playing in the creek.


Small play area at Lake Casitas Water Park.


Peter established his reputation in the campground as "The Frogman" as he was able to catch several "thumbnail -sized" frogs in the creek. He begged me to bring them home, but we appealed to his sensibilities of saving the earth by telling him that taking the frogs out of their natural habitat will most certainly kill them and upset nature's delicate balance. He replied by telling me that he can bring some of their "natural habitat" home with us. Smarty pants.

OK, truth be told I did not want dead frogs rotting in their "natural habitat" in a canister designed for temporarily housing various and sundry creatures so that they could be examined under a large magnifying glass in order to educate young minds about nature. Really. Honest.

I know. I'm mean that way....


Yes, that little lump is a frog.

We are also spending a great deal of time at the swimming pool. The nice thing about a community pool is that you don't have to schedule "playdates" because there is always someone the kids age there and usually, they are from school so they already know them. The other nice thing is that I don't have to maintain it. :)


Caroline is a natural swimmer and loves the boogie board.



Proof that sometimes my kids play together.


We also went to the beach for Father's Day (yes, that is how far behind I am in blogging!)


Bonsai Boy and Butt Girl

Caroline getting ready to try the boogie board.

More proof that my kids sometimes play together.

After an exhausting fun-filled weekend of playing in the creek, spending all day Saturday at the water park, eating s'mores, and playing in the campground, we were driving home when Caroline said, "Mommy, I want a playdate with a friend."

Uh, ok...Can we revisit this request after mommy gets a few days of sleep? Thanks ever so much.

5 comments:

M3 said...

That waterpark area looks awesome!! (And, um, my dishwasher has been clean for two days now and we've just been pulling dishes out of it as needed. Sigh...)

Anonymous said...

ohhh you guys are having some GREAT fun!!!!

Daisy Rain Martin said...

HA! Very nice! I love peeking into your life! You won't remember, necessarily, all the times you dusted your furniture, but you WILL remember the frogs and the s'mores, and the hours upon hours in the pool.

You're doing it right, mama!

Love you!
Daisy

Carolin said...

Sounds like a wonderfully fun summer so far! The laundry will wait and you can always stock up on paper plates, cups & such :-)

Natalie said...

What fun it looks like you're all having. I really like the water park and those cute little frogs. How cute are they?! I've never seen them so small!
I am with you though. They need to stay there so they can thrive. LOL

Natalie