Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Last Camping Trip of 2009 for Us!



I remember LOVING camping as a child. Then I remembered why: The adults did all the preparations and told us kids to go play. Great deal, huh?

Still, we had a great time at McGrath State Beach. I had not been there since (cough) Jr. High (and I won't tell you what year that was, so don't ask!)

We reserved two campgrounds and Rick's sister, MaryLue and husband, Clay and their kids joined us. They have an older daughter, Rebecca who brought her friend and they also have fraternal twin boys who are 5 months younger than Caroline. They were running around like crazy, climbing trees, playing at the beach, roasting marshamallows...

Marshmallow face

Joel, Caroline, and Travis in the trees

Rick shows the kids how to fly a kite.


At one point, while Caroline and the boys were climbing the tree, Joel fell. Miraculously, he did not hit the ground. Why, I hear you ask?? Well, while we did not get a picture of the actual event because we needed to rescue the poor boy, here is a picture from the re-enactment:

Here's a beautiful picture of Caroline posing on her perch:


These trees were a definite hit this weekend. Here's a picture of Peter and Caroline in the trees shortly after we arrived:

They had a great time at the beach.

Peter holding half of a sand dollar (does that make it 50 cents?)

Mer-men.

Posing in the sand (man, I see trouble when she's a teenager!)

Rick and Clay after riding the waves - "they still got it!"


On the first morning, we decided to make biscuits and gravy (one of Rick's favorites) in the dutch oven. The biscuits came out perfectly. Unfortunately, I forgot to pack some flour for thickening the gravy. What to do? So I asked the neighbors in the next campground if they possibly had some. They didn't but what they did have was some buckwheat pancake mix. Hmmm. Let's try it! It was wonderful! Who knew?

Did you also know that you can bake other tasty things in a dutch oven? Guess what is in this one:



Yep! Chocolate cake - and it was delicious!



Caroline, Travis, and Joel anxiously awaiting the popcorn.


Rebecca and Abigail enjoy corn on the cob. Yummy.

You know your kids are having fun when they can fall asleep where they sit.

And they beg to go to bed.

Next year we would like to tackle Yosemite....maybe. Right now I'm of a mind that "roughing-it" is when room service is late.


6 comments:

Shelly and Family said...

Oh what a great time camping! The girls have been asking us if we can take them...I know I am not the "camping type" so I think it will be a night away with just Dad...(and breakfast will be waiting for them once they return home...)

Lori Lynn said...

Looks great. I used to love camping. There's a campground we went to a couple times in Santa Barbara where you actually rent a cabin or a "heated tent with queen bed".

I love the picture of Peter with the sand dollar. It looks like he is holding up a doll!

Unknown said...

How funny! I never noticed that Joel was just above the sand dollar! It does look like he's holding a doll.

Rick and our church elementary kids went up to El Capitan State Beach a few weeks ago for kids camp and stayed in cabins. It's probably the same one. Very cute!

Carolin said...

looks like a lot of fun! I had no idea you could bake a cake in a dutch oven. Wow!

QingLu Mama said...

Looks like and AWESOME time! The kids seem like they had a blast. What a pretty place to camp, best of both worlds, sand and water or trees and nature!
And I agree, roughing it to me has to include 4 walls and indoor plumbing! BUT if ever I decide to camp...I'll ask you to come along with your dutch oven, yummy!

Gwen Oatsvall said...

fun ... i am not the camping type, but i always think the pictures make it look so fun ... hee hee