Thursday, August 27, 2009

Aaaaannnd....They're OFF!!! School Begins!



I got up at 6:30 this morning to get the kids on track so I could shower, get their lunches ready, get Caroline dressed and then get them to school so we could have the time for pictures. Can you imagine my surprise when I came downstairs to find my children dressed and packing their lunches???? Yes, Caroline got up, got HERSELF dressed down to the shoes, and Peter (being the good big brother) was helping her pack her lunch. It helped that she was anxious to use her new lunch box that she picked out, but still....



Packing their own lunches!

We did not need to leave the house until 7:45 to have enough time to take pictures leisurely, but by 7:00 Caroline kept asking when we were leaving for school. It wasn't that she was excited to meet new friends, nor was she excited to hear stories or see her teacher. She wasn't even excited to use her new lunch box. Nope. She wanted to go on the MONKEY BARS....


Oh, yeah. That's what kindergarten is all about. Up until yesterday, she could not do monkey bars because she was afraid she'd fall (and regular playgrounds, it's quite a distance to the ground). At the Kindergarten playground, it's not so far to fall so it gave her confidence to go across. And she did. She showed me. All is well in Caroline's little world.

Caroline with her teacher before class began

Caroline and Mommy share a moment before she says, "See ya, mom!"

Peter is oh-so-experienced in school now so he just wanted to go to his class. Well, this mama was not going to let him off the hook that easily. It is, after all, his last year in elementary school (YIKES! Did I just type that?) and we took some pictures in front of his classroom before we left for the day.




When I picked her up today, she was all lined up with the other kids in her class ready and waiting.


Did I mention it was 105 degrees today? As we were walking to the car, she was polishing off her apple juice...


So what did I do all day?




Iced coffee at Starbucks with friends. That's what I'm talking about. My friends even bought me an insulated glass so I can easily assimilate into my new culture. Ahhhhhhh.......

I'll clean my house tomorrow. Today was for me.

2 comments:

Wanda said...

Hey, today must have felt so strange for you. A mixed bag, for sure.

Congrats on co-ordinating their transitions into school so smoothly.

And I'd even wait till next week to clean the house.
;)

QingLu Mama said...

Wow, you've two really big kids!
How wonderful they got all ready and were so excited for school! Peter is such a good big bro.

Caroline looked full of confidence, and way to go on those monkey bars! It's so hard to see them so grown up, but so awesome at the same time...

Glad you had a nice morning!
Jennifer